Housing Specialist, Office of Mental Health (OMH) Supported Housing Programs
CAMBA's Office of Mental Health (OHM) Supported Housing Program: CAMBA's OMH Supported Housing Program provides a total of 87 units of scattered site housing to individuals. The first program provides 70 units of housing to chronically homeless single adults who are eligible for SSI or SSD, and suffer from Serious and Persistent Mental Illness (SPMI) or are diagnosed as Mentally Ill and Chemically Addicted (MICA). The second program provides 10 units of housing for SPMI individuals who reside in OMH psychiatric centers, Article 28 inpatient hospitals, residential treatment programs and adult homes. The third program provides 7 units of housing to individuals who are SPMI and have been residents of either OMH Psychiatric Centers or OMH operated residential programs for one year or longer. All apartments are located in Brooklyn. Program clients receive case management services and limited assistance with their utility costs. Clients contribute 30% of their income for rent.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The person filling this position is expected, under close supervision, to ensure that all operational issues and obligations related to obtaining and maintaining program residences are met; including the following:
- Identify studio and/or one bedroom apartment for eligible clients.
- Order and track furniture for clients.
- Obtain leases and other required documentation in order to process leases.
- Submit leases for review to Program Manager/ Program Director in a timely manner.
- Ensure that apartment units are ready prior to occupancy.
- Coordinate with utilities companies to activate utilities.
- Act as liaison between Case Managers, maintenance workers, and the Fiscal Department to address various issues i.e. housing plans, maintenance work/repairs, fiscal issues.
- Collect and track all client programmatic fee/rent payments.
- Keep track of expiration dates of leases.
- Process work orders as needed and review all signed work orders to ensure work has been done.
- Review all utility bills and submit to Fiscal Department.
- Pick up all of CAMBA's checks to pay CAMBA's portion of clients' utility bills, hand-deliver checks to appropriate utilities, receive receipts and submit receipts to Fiscal Department.
- Investigate clients' complaints of unpaid utility bills.
- Conduct regular inspections of client rooms/apartments in congregate site and/or community-based apartments with assistance from other program staff (i.e., security personnel).
- Escort clients to necessary appointments to ensure rent payments, active benefits and entitlement, and apartment viewings.
- Maintain accurate records (i.e. furniture, maintenance supplies, food, office stock) on premises and/or in community-based apartments,
- Request Emergency Assistance to assist clients in paying clients' portion of utility bills, if needed
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
High school diploma or G.E.D. and two years of applicable experience; or, Associates degree (A. A.) and one year of applicable experience and/or equivalent experience
- Obtain "Criminal History Checks" (CHC) fingerprinting through the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH) and the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs (Justice System).
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and ability to work closely with, persons with mental illness and substance abuse.
- Knowledge about, understanding of, and experience working with, housing systems, facilities management, and maintenance needs.