Career Advisor, Retraining Program for Immigrant Engineers
CAMBA's comprehensive Workforce Development and Refugee Services programs annually provide over 3,800 low income community members with employment, education, training, benefits access, and financial counseling services. CAMBA specializes in assisting those with special barriers to employment including low skilled workers, long-term unemployed, immigrants and refugees, highly skilled immigrant professionals, limited English speakers, formerly incarcerated individuals in imminent danger of homelessness and trauma survivors. Careeer Advisor will support the The Cooper Union Retraining Program for Immigrant Engineers @ CAMBA, which assists immigrant Engineers and IT Professionals who are underemployed or unemployed gain access to higher paying jobs in their field through training and job placement assistance. The program includes courses in information technology, mechanical, electrical and civil engineering, as well as intensive job readiness, career coaching, and industry-specific job placement services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The person filling this position is expected, under general supervision, (1) to be clients' primary motivator and coordinator of program services; (2) assist clients in eliminating barriers to education/employment by making referrals to appropriate services within and outside CAMBA; including the following:
- Conduct community outreach and development of qualified pipeline resulting in enrollment of at least 225 enrollees per year.
- Conduct initial intake and assessment of client's situations and needs, including skill levels, prior work experience, employability, interests, and aptitudes.
- Collect and submit all documentation regarding client and contract outcomes.
- Work with clients through the use of various techniques (i.e., dialogue, inquiry, goal setting, accountability, etc.) to develop realistic educational/employment goals leading to professional employment.
- Clearly communicate to clients the purpose and structure of the program, as well as expectations about benefits and responsibilities.
- Understand all aspects of contract requirements and services definitions.
- Develop strategies with clients regarding how to break through barriers to their goals, and how to advocate for themselves.
- Monitor clients' progress toward their goals (dates achieved) via regularly scheduled telephone contact and/or office visits, through the retention period and document via progress notes.
- Provide all required information for weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience providing services to people who face numerous barriers to achieving economic success, particularly to immigrant communities.
- Commitment to helping social empowerment and economic development.
- Experience in communicating and working successfully with people from a broad range of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have a professional phone demeanor, proven client service skills, high energy and enthusiasm to work with adults and propel them toward success.
- Exceptional attention to detail, ability to stay organized and strong follow-up skills necessary.
- Demonstrate integrity, tact, and diplomacy.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret data.
- Advanced computer skills, including: MS Word, Excel (including using functions and formulas), PowerPoint.
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual with preference for Chinese, Spanish, Bengali, Urdu or Arabic (other languages will be considered).