Client Advocate I, CAMBA Legal Services (CLS) - Housing/Foreclosure Unit, Staten Island
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS) is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention, immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients, CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community improve their lives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The person filling this position is expected, under close supervision, to: (1) Serve as a client liaison with outside organizations and landlords regarding such matters as housing, education, healthcare, social services, legal issues, etc; (2) assist clients in working toward attaining their goals, identify and locate community resources for clients and make referrals to appropriate services within and outside CAMBA; including the following:
- Screen and register new clients in CAMBA Legal Services database.
- Assist clients in completing all intake applications and forms.
- Conduct risk assessments of clients and client' families' situations and needs.
- Work with clients to break through barriers and to achieve their goals and to become self-sufficiency.
- Assist clients in advocating for themselves in order to maintain their housing stability
- Conduct quality assurance measures to ensure that all required information is included in client files
- Monitor clients' housing stability and progress via regularly scheduled telephone contact and/or face-to-face office visits, and document via progress notes.
- Ensure the timely and accurate completion of the quarterly billing report
- Follow-up with clients to ensure their housing stability and contact referral organizations regarding client progress as appropriate.
- Document client retention and contact in the client file and enter all required information weekly/ monthly/ quarterly/ annual reports accurately and in a timely fashion.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High School diploma or G.E.D. and/or equivalent experience
*this position is in Staten Island*