Attorney II, CAMBA Legal Services (CLS)--Housing Unit, Staten Island
CAMBA Legal Services, Inc. (CLS)
is the legal services arm of CAMBA, Inc. CLS provides free civil legal services to
low-income New Yorkers in the areas of consumer law, foreclosure prevention,
immigration, housing law, and domestic violence assistance. In addition to providing direct
representation and providing legal advice and counsel to thousands of clients,
CAMBA attorneys also engage in legislative advocacy, impact litigation in both
state and federal court, provide community education and offer expert training
on a wide range of issues, services that allow members of our community improve
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The person filling this position is expected, under the direction of the General Counsel, to provide legal assistance to clients of CAMBA Legal Services; including the following:
- Represent clients in court and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government.
- Handle complex cases as assigned.
- Conduct client intake and assessment of client cases.
- Interview clients and witnesses, as appropriate, in preparation for litigation and/or court proceedings.
- Prepare settlements and stipulations for housing court.
- Prepare letters of advocacy when applications are denied.
- Advise clients of their rights, laws, rulings, and regulations applicable to their case.
- Gather evidence to formulate defense or to institute legal action on clients' behalf.
- Develop legal strategies, arguments, and testimonies in preparation for presentation of cases for trials, hearings, and oral arguments.
- File motions, briefs, pleadings, legal memos, and appeals with court clerk.
- Research and interpret laws, rulings, and regulations as they relate to clients' cases.
- Coordinate follow up advocacy for housing grants.
- Ensure paralegals conduct proper follow-up with all aspects of cases (i.e. – proper filing and service of court documents, follow-up with administrative and social agencies).
- Coordinate with other attorneys to ensure case/ intake coverage.
- Provide legal seminars and workshops for various organizations.
- Attend housing law trainings.
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:Juris Doctor (J.D.) + Licensed to practice law in NY State and 2 years experience in housing law practice or equivalent.*This position is in Staten Island*