Resources for LGBT Youth and Their Families
(youth resources below)
PFLAG NYC provides services to New York City families, schools, corporations, and the larger community in order to increase understanding and acceptance of LGBT people. Services include:
- Regular support group meetings;
- The TransParents Project, a dedicated group for parents of transgender children
- The API Project - support and information for Asian & Pacific Islander (API) individuals and their families with particular cultural and linguistic needs
- COMETFIRE - a discussion group for middle schoolers with questions about sexual orientation and gender identity
- Helpline via Telephone & Email
- Online Resources
SCO – Family of Services, Family Therapy Intervention Pilot for LGBTQ Youth (FTIP) is a New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) funded initiative that helps LGBTQ youth remain in or return to their family home. The program promotes families’ acceptance of their LGBTQ children and provides free services to reduce negative risk factors experienced by LGBTQ youth, such as homelessness and experimentation with drug usage.
Bridging Access to Care (BAC), has a free Parenting Journey educational program for parents/caregivers who wish to improve their ability to nurture. The program is ACS approved for those with an ACS mandate. Topics include nuturing, goal setting, decision making and communication.
Brooklyn Community Pride Center (BCPS): BCPC’s mission to support all LGBTQ families in Brooklyn through family appropriate programming as well as support and resources for parents and guardians whose children identify as LGBTQ.
LGBT Community Center Families programs include:
- support groups for LGBT parents and prospective parents;
- cutting edge individual/couples & family counseling,
- information and referrals as well as play dates, monthly free legal clinics and other networking opportunities for LGBTQ families in the Tri-State area;
- advocacy groups for LGBT parents with children in public schools;
- recreational programs for children (Halloween Parties, Holiday Parties, Play Days, etc.).
Brooklyn Community Pride Center (BCPC) - BCPC's mission is to support all LGBTQ families in
Brooldyn through family appropriate programming as well as support and resources for parents and
guardians whose children identify as LGBTQ.
Ali Forney Center provides housing and supportive services for homeless LGBTQ youth.
Callen-Lorde Community Health Center - Services include Health Outreach to Teens (HOTT)
program, which provides free or low cost medical and counseling services for LGBTQ, straight, and
www.callen-lorde.org, 212-271-7212 (HOTT program).
FIERCE - a membership-based organization building the leadership and power of lesbian, gay,
bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) youth of color in New York City.
H.E.A.T. (Health & Education Alternatives for Teens) - Free health testing, counseling, support
groups, and workshops for young people.
Hetrick-Martin Institute provides social support and programming for LGBTQ youth, including
counseling services, Harvey Milk School, GED, homeless youth outreach and year round after school
LAMBDA Legal - legal services and advocacy for LGBTQ people.
LGBT Community Center - services include Youth Enrichment Services (YES) for LGBTQ and allied
people ages 13-22.
LGBT Faith Leaders of African Descent - advocacy and education around inclusion, monthly
Back to Project ALY home